SSC CHSL 2018 is to be conducted from 1 to 26 July 2019. English is important part of the CHSL examination, so today we are providing English grammar quiz with solutions to make you more accurate in your SSC CHSL examination. Attempt this quiz and prepare yourself.
Wish you best of luck for the all upcoming exams.
Each question has a sentence with three parts labelled (a), (b) and (c). Read each sentence to find out whether there is any error in any part and indicate your answer against the corresponding letter i.e. (a), (b) or (c). If you find no error, your answer should be indicated as option (d).
1. Never I asked (a)/ my Englishman (b) / how much he earned. (c)/ No error (d)
Explanation (a) Say ‘I never asked’ or ‘Never did I ask’.
2. The Vice-Chancellor of our university urged to (a)/ the agitating students to shun violence (b)/ and maintain peace on the campus. (c)/ No error (d)
Explanation (c) Use ‘in’ in place of ‘on’
3. When her son got a job (a)/ she was (b)/ besides herself with joy. (c)/ No error (d)
Explanation (c) Use ‘beside’ in place of ‘besides’
4. Here is (a)/ the man whom I think (b)/ committed the crime. (c)/ No error (d)
Explanation (b) Insert 'who’ in place of ‘whom’ in fact, it must be ‘who I think has committed’ according to the rule of ‘consistency of tense’ in a sentence.
5. We have studied the two specimens carefully (a)/ X differs to Y (b)/ in only one respect. (c)/ No error (d)
Explanation (b) Use ‘from’ in place of ‘to’
6. Bread and butter (a)/ is (b)/ all we want. (c)/ No error (d)
Explanation (c) use ‘what’ after all
7. What are (a)/ their reasons (b)/ to say it. (c)/ No error (d)
Explanation (c) Say ‘for saying it’
8. He took (a)/ his younger sister (b)/ with himself. (c)/ No error (d)
Explanation (c) Use ‘him’
9. Can you cite (a)/ any precedent (b)/ in support of the case? (c)/ No error (d)
Explanation (b) use ‘some’ in place of any
10. We must work (a)/ very hard now (b)/ to making up for the lost time. (c)/ No error (d)
Explanation (c) Use ‘make’ in place of ‘making’