UPSC ESE Selection Process: – Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) conducts Engineering Services Examination (ESE). Selection Process of Engineering Services Examination are given below…..
Engineering Services Examination comprises of two stages:
- Written Examination
- Personality Test
- Written Examination: The written Examination will comprise of two stages.
(i) Stage-I: Engineering Services (Preliminary | Stage-I) Examination (Objective Type Papers)
(ii) Stage-II: Engineering Services (Mains | Stage-ll) Examination (Conventional Type Papers)
(i). The Engineering Services (Preliminary | Stage-I):- It is consist of two objective type (multiple choices) questions papers and carrying a maximum of 500 marks (Paper-I – 200 Marks & Paper-ll – 300 Marks).
Only those candidates who are declared by the Commission to have qualified in the Preliminary | Stage-I Examination, will be eligible for admission to the Mains/Stage-ll Examination. The Marks obtained in Preliminary/Stage-l Examination by the candidates who are declared qualified for admission to the Mains/Stage-ll Examination will be counted for determining their final order of merit. The number of candidates to be admitted to the Mains/Stage-ll Examination will be about six to seven time the total approximate number of vacancies to be filled through this examination.
- The Commission will draw a list of candidates to be qualified for Engineering Services (Mains/Stage-ll) Examination based on the criterion of minimum qualifying marks in General Studies and Engineering Aptitude Paper (Paper-I) and Engineering Discipline specific paper (Paper-ll) of Preliminary/Stage-I Examination.
- There will be penalty (Negative Marking) for wrong answers marked by a candidate in the objective type question papers. One-third (0.33) of the marks assigned to that question will be deducted as penalty.
- If a candidate gives more than one answer, it will be treated as a wrong answer even if one of the given answers happen to be correct and there will be same penalty as above for that question.
- If a question is left blank i.e. no answer is given by the candidate, there will be no penalty for that question.
(ii). The Engineering Services (Mains/stage-ll):- it consist two conventional type papers in Engineering Discipline specific with duration of three hours and maximum marks of 600 (300 Marks in each paper).
- Personality Test (200 Marks):- Candidates who obtain such minimum qualifying marks in the Stage-I: Engineering Services (Preliminary/Stage-I) and Stage ll: Engineering Services (Mains/Stage-ll) Examination as may be fixed by the Commission as per its discretion, shall be summoned by them for Personality Test. The number of candidates to be summoned for Personality Test will be about twice the number of vacancies to be filled. The Personality Test will carry 200 marks (with no minimum qualifying marks).